Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Happy Holidays (okay those who wish to boycott reading this because it says "Holidays" can kiss my freakin' yule log)

Happy Holidays. Greetings, salutations, merry cheese eating, binge boozing and all that. The holiday gathering in St. Louis went truly well and a good time was had by all. Yours truly cooked again, and while we took a break from the macrobiotic eating (which I am now paying for), it was scrummy and fab. We had a gathering on Christmas eve that involved a tamale making party – okay, that was delicious. The people were fabulous, some old friendships and conflicts were resolved in the name of my sister, and of the holiday, for which I’m grateful.

Christmas day was typical of our family, in that it involved a couple of interesting excursions - the first of which was visiting Tennessee Williams grave. We brought him a poinsettia.
















I must admit to still being in shock and feel somewhat violated by the “Our Lady of the Sorrow” WAY OF LIGHTS display. I can’t help but feel that Catholic charity and aiding the poor did not actually mean a multi-million dollar light display/passion play of the birth of Christ (“Angel, angel, what do you see? I see a camel smiling at me. . . .”) that one must drive through a la the wild animal park in San Diego. Behold, a picture of Jerusalem. That only took up about 40 feet – and it went on. And on. And on.




















Okay, and here is a picture of the Gateway to the West – the St. Louis Arch at night. Pretty.
















There is a truly awesome fun thing to do, which is to visit the City Museum, which is essentially a huge interactive sculpture created out of architectural salvage and requires a lot of climbing, crawling and general hands on touching type stuff . . .














With an aquarium.





That has a ferret one can hold. I’m not sure how the ferret fits into the scheme of things where sea creatures are concerned, but it was friendly. The turtle that I bonded with, however, desperately wished to leave.


There is a bar for the weary museum goers – that seems like a cross between stepping into Diagon Alley from Harry Potter and the fun house in the film “The Machinist.” Weird is simply not a descriptive enough word. A fun time was had by all risk takers.

I hope that each and everyone had a good time with family, loved ones; that no one got so liquored up that it was beyond embarrassing; I hope no one was arrested, and that everyone got a little something that they were hoping for this year.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

Atta girl, Laura. You tell 'em. And furthermore...

What the hell is a yule log, exactly? Or do I even want to know?

Happy holidays backatcha, Mil.

~C~

28 December, 2005 14:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh haaa haaa haaa. Welcome to my hell. How'dya like Christmas in the "flyover states"? Now you know how the rest of us live. I paid 45 dollars so the family could see lights in the SHAPE of a monkey at the denver zoo. And for my kid to pet the bunny. Which last I checked wasn't endangered. But the apes were sleeping so....All I can say is THANK JESUS for wassil and little silver flasks. And is it REALLY a good time if your not arrested? I think not. Cheers milli, to you and yall.

29 December, 2005 08:18  
Blogger Ignatius M. Dedd said...

Best to you in 2006 and always.

I.D.

29 December, 2005 09:35  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think a yule log is something you get at your local icecream shop that you slice up in way too small a slices for way to many people and you usually wish you have a bigger one. No?

BTW, thanks for stopping over and commenting at my location. I like your Arch pic. Wonderful.

Blog on Sister.

29 December, 2005 13:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Laura!!!! Tell 'em!

Happy Holidays Millie! ;)

29 December, 2005 14:46  
Blogger Betsy said...

According to my 10-yr-old son who remembers every bit of minutiae that he reads, Yule logs have been burned in European hearths for centuries, between December 24 and January 6. The cinders float up to ward off evil spirits and welcome in a new year.

Yule logs are also a log-shaped, very rich dessert. Maybe they burn too. Haven't tried one in the hearth.

Now I have minutiae in my head too. Ouch.

Wishing you a peaceful new year and energy to continue in your sister's care. Bless you.

29 December, 2005 16:50  
Blogger Jet said...

Merry Cheese Eating? Be still, my Wisconsin heart. ;-D

Happy Holidays, Mil. Thanks for stopping by with an anniversary comment. You've been there from the beginning!

30 December, 2005 04:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy holidays; you sure do deserve them.

Told people on one site I had a post in--not one of mine--to kiss my Jewish tush--something Jet will never let me forget; so I'm not offendable

30 December, 2005 09:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home