Monday, December 12, 2005

What NOT to Play in the Waiting Room

Well, well, well.

I’m learning quite a lot about the world of those who must undergo chemo. I'm also learning that way too many people in this country are afflicted with some sort of cancer, given the fact that the stadium size waiting room at the Siteman Cancer Center is standing room only - starting at 7:45 a.m. Mondays. That's wrong, people.

I should mention here, that the swanky auditorium size waiting area also has a lovely player piano that tinkles the ivories while one waits for their treatment. There's just one little problem. Waiting room music can be considered to be extremely important to the patient's state of mind, and there seems to be a paucity of attention to the music programming at the very busy Siteman Cancer Center. Well, it needs to be made important, since the first thing we heard playing upon arrival of my sister’s first treatment was “Memory” from CATS. Followed by the theme from “Ice Castles.” I kid you not. We proceeded to sit there and pass the time by putting together our own little death soundtrack for cancer waiting room listening that would include, “Brian’s Song” the theme from “Love Story,” “The Wind Beneath My Wings” from BEACHES, followed maybe with a little Madame Butterfly and “These are people who died died!” by Jim Carroll.

Honestly, people.

10 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

Maybe that old song (from the 60s?) -- "Leader of the Pack" -- could be added to the line-up.

Your story made me chuckle but in a sad-you-have-to-be-there kind of way. Good thoughts are with you and your family. Hang in there...

12 December, 2005 18:41  
Blogger Ignatius M. Dedd said...

OK

How about:

The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult

Nature's Way by Spirit

Old Man by Randy Newman

The End by The Doors

My Way by Sinatra...or Sid Vicious

I could go on...

13 December, 2005 06:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Millicent it was so wonderful to hear from you.

Actually Betsy's selection--I have the whole CD--Last Dance--had the albumn when I was 11, and my sister bought the CD as she knew how much it meant to me

Two years ago I had a health scare that turned out fine but there were months of waiting; made my best friend plan my Memorial Service. She was going to play Tom Waits "Waltzing Matilda" every third song because one year I drove people crazy playing it constantly. Oh no I forgot the rest!

13 December, 2005 08:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will someone please tell my family to play "Bitchin Camero" by the Dead Kennedys at my memorial? Just because it cracks me up to think of all my conservative waspy family members trying to sit through it. While pretending to grieve.
What is UP with all the cancer anyway? And not only that...the baby stuff. One cousin lost a baby at the very end of her pregnancy, then had another baby who now turns out to have a rare disease. My good friend just gave birth to a child with no hand. I could tell you lots of stories. What are we breathing and eating and drinking? Scary stuff.
My best to your sister.

13 December, 2005 10:35  
Blogger frstlymil said...

All of these are fab suggestions. I might just put together a little cd and send it to thems folks that program the piano at Siteman. That'll make their wig hair curl. Maybe add Tom Waits cover of "Somewhere" from West Side Story. And I'm pretty sure the Sid Vicious cover of "My Way" is what will be played at my own memorial.

13 December, 2005 10:57  
Blogger liberal army wife said...

First, good luck to your sister. Second, why is silence so bad? I have stopped going into some stores because of the awful music and the sound level! The tinkling of someone on a piano has been known to make me SNAP! Keep your chin up (congrats on the degree!)

15 December, 2005 14:42  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

I can't believe you guys all missed the most obvious choice....

Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce.

Who are you people and what have you done with my hip, clever, ironic blog buddies? Go, all of you, and eat protein and take a nap immediately!

~C~

16 December, 2005 13:21  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

Oooo... Puff the Magic Dragon....

Ouch, man....

I could kick myself for missing that one....

~C~

19 December, 2005 14:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking on you Mille ~ here's hoping that things are going well and that you've been able to enjoy some of the season! :)

27 December, 2005 07:36  
Blogger Jet said...

Also checking in to see how be you, Mil dahling. Very hard, aren't they? Holidays, I mean. Hang in there.

My funeral will not be complete without a snappy rendition of "Kiss Off" by the Violent Femmes.

...I forget what eight was for...

Yeah, yeah.

27 December, 2005 10:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home