Tuesday, January 04, 2005

WHO GETS THE MONEY?

Since this middle aged hotty who writes before you decided to go back to school, I have taken a job as a cubicle rat for a non profit human services organization. So I’m a little bit familiar with how they work with respect to whom and how to give in times of crisis, be it local, national, international, etcetera. I won’t say what the organization is that has me surrounded by nubby cloth walls 5 days a week, ever dodging the knarled pointy finger and scoldings of Ursula the Cubicle Witch, or what it’s rated – but let’s just say that the Orangutan Foundation is better rated. That means that the monkeys are rating better than the humans in terms of efficiency and responsible distribution of funds, costs, whatever. Or is an orangutan actually an ape? No matter, ape or monkey, they rate better than where I work. So if you are of a mind to contribute toward aiding the countries devastated by the Tsunamis, there is a great website to go to so that you can make a better informed choice. They will tell you exactly how the money is distributed and how much the CEO is taking home. It’s called Charity Navigator. Check it out. Also, please keep in mind that there are many charitable service organizations that depend on donations in order to stay afloat. For example, to use one organization that is coming to the aid of the victims of the Tsunamis, Doctors Without Borders stated this morning on NPR that they have raised the amount of money they need to properly address the Tsunami crisis, however still need donations to their general fund to deal with tragedies affecting other parts of the globe. They aren’t allowed to divert donations made to Tsunami relief to the general fund for other needs, so donations to the general fund are very much needed.

So check it out, pick one, call someone up and find out where your funds can do the most good. Let Bush continue to rake leaves on his ranch. The rest of us can step up to the plate and get something done.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sometimes i feel like when i go out somewhere even with my own friends that almost every1 around me is judging me or looking @ me or planing some kind of crazy shit to take me down in some way.......sometimes it really scares the shit out of me...one of my best friends went paranoid-scitso a couple of years ago and was saying the same shit to me be4 i had to commit him....he even thought i was agaisn him

04 January, 2005 14:24  
Blogger frstlymil said...

Ummm, okay...tsunamis, paranoia, I guess I can see the connection...whoever you are, I hope you're okay and that you have someone to talk to in person.

04 January, 2005 14:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, that was disturbing. Bless his heart. Thanks for posting that. I didn't check when we gave. Didn't think to until afterword! I didn't know those rating existed!! Mine did pretty good, but I'm bookmarking this site for next time!!

04 January, 2005 18:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home