Tuesday, August 15, 2006

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Programming...

I know, I know. What happened to you in the jungle, Millicent? I'll tell, I'll tell. But first, I want to discuss something truly grinding. That and give a shout out to Tom Harper over at Who Hijacked Our Country for posting today's parable that everyone should read. It relates to my next story. In an obscure kind of way.

On Saturday, Manpants and I were invited to an impromptu dinner party at a friend's. We offered to bring dessert and went to our favorite little cake place for a scrummy little light lunch, followed with our request to Uncle R. behind the counter for the dessert of the evening - a black-out cake with a layer of espresso that could put a person into a coma.

While we were there, a man comes in - very Beverly Hills Adjacent looks, harried, holding a cell phone. He proceeds to interrogate the owner about every single cake. The owner goes into the cooling room and brings out cake after cake after cake, explaining the fillings, the confection toppings, etc. . . After each cake, the man either says, "Oh that won't do," or he gets on his cell phone, says a few words and then says to the owner, "That won't do. What else have you got?"

Enter a Beverly Hills Adjacent harried looking pregnant woman with a 6 year old girl in tow. She approaches the harried looking man.

I'm thinking to myself, "Of course! She's pregnant! It's a Pickle Cake problem!" I'm guessing she is looking for something very specific, and I'm completely down with that. Hell, girl, eat the entire left side of the menu.

She speaks a few words to her husband, who relays something to the owner, who schlepps back to the cooling room for what appears to be the White Chocolate with Rasberry Filling and confection cake. Yummy. There are looks of concern on the faces of the family all around, and I decide to go back to my delicious turkey breast sandwich and stop spying on humanity for once in my life.

I look up just in time to see the whole family turn around and leave, with no cake, while the owner stands there with this funny look on his face that is sort of combined amusement with disbelief. Well, the cakes are pretty dreamy - how could they leave with no cake? Okay, just a side note here, the place is too crowded already so I'm not saying the name because I'm feeling ornery today. I picked up a little parasite in Peru that has left me feeling annoyed. But to borrow from The Devil Wears Prada "I'm one [parasite] away from my ideal weight!"

Where was I?

Oh yes. So, while Manpants has gone up to the counter to speak to Uncle R. about the cake, the owner (with the combination look on his face) plops himself down in the seat next to mine. I, being really nosy, say, "What was that over there?" It turns out, it was Pregnant Beverly Hills Adjacent's birthday and the cake was for her. She had her heart set on the White Chocolate Rasberry. The 6 year old girl, however, informed everyone that she wouldn't be eating that, so they were negotiating other possibilities with her. She wanted the black out cake because of the pretty toppings. The owner told them he couldn't sell them the cake if they were going to feed it to a child because they'd never get the child down off the ceiling if she ate any. After 25 minutes of back and forth and negotiations with the child, they gave up and left. Happy Birthday, Mommy.

And people wonder why we're calling it the "Entitlement Generation." Since when do we negotiate with children? Especially over a birthday cake that is not theirs? The kid will be a monster by 8 and in rehab by 12. If we don't teach structure, boundaries and respect for others when they are young - can we really expect them to grow into people who are anything other than lawless individuals with disdain for everyone around them?

Kind of like our current president.

23 Comments:

Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

a black-out cake with a layer of espresso that could put a person into a coma

I know you typed something after this, but... I... can't... seem... to... get... past... this.... sentence....

"Nurse? A stretcher, please?"

15 August, 2006 12:39  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Thanks for the link.

Interesting encounter at the bakery. That spoiled 6-year-old will probably be in a high-ranking position someday (due to her family connections) and will be whimsically firing and downsizing people left and right.

For some odd reason, that bakery incident reminded me of the Seinfeld episode about the Chocolate Babka.

15 August, 2006 12:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now see? This is where the southern mother in me loses her damn mind. Me and my neighbor friend always get into the spank or no spank question. I'm all about a spank. I don't beat her but if I need to smack her hand after telling her three hundred times not to put it in the fire... I'm going to. My friend believes in reasoning with her children who are FOUR and TWO. You can't reason with children who have not yet developed the ability to reason!
I see it all around me. Even if I say a firm NO, I get looks like I am the asshole.
I fear for the future. Everyone is raising sociopaths with no sense of consequence or accountablity.
I would have said "Mommy is getting HER favorite cake for HER birthday. How lucky ARE YOU that I'm willing to share!" Any grumbling would be met with "Sorry about your luck kid."

15 August, 2006 18:04  
Blogger Enginerd said...

I'm with Rhonda on that one -
My response would pretty much be "shutup or your ass is getting put back in the car. when its your birthday, MAYBE you'll get to pick out a cake."

Children NEED consequences. Harsh ones if necessary. And I have no problem chewing out other kids in public who I feel are disrespectful to their elders in the area. If your kid can't behave, then I will certainly make it clear to them and/or you that you need to leave.

but I'm a bit of a bitch.
:)

16 August, 2006 12:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hit on one of my big issues. have an almost twelve year old niece

A good friend's daughter--very spoiled also--could write a book about her--works at a very luxe store. I can get a 50% discount

When I told my sister it was not what I can get for me, but what I can get for my niece

She already gets the Tiffany jewelry. My sister and b-i-l are firmly slightly affluent

Apparently my niece is supposed to learn to expect the good things in life--as is my friend's daughter

But what happens if....???

As to sweets. LA has more than NY and that's saying a lot

Have convinced myself I'm diabetic, and have gall bladder problems, and will die if I eat anything sweet

Figure that covers most bases

My very over priced flea bag motel which I will write about with name when I am home, doesn't even have fridges--though I improvised one from an ice bucket

But do love it here. Will be home tomorrow night or Sunday morning more likely--unfortunately only miss my friends and apartment

When I come back, it will be to an apartment--didn't even think of renting one

And I live, in NY near some of the best desert places in the world--have to walk past with my eyes firmly shut

Can empathize with the parasite problem. Lost eight pounds the week before coming out here from some intestinal problem that made me want to literally die

18 August, 2006 11:05  
Blogger 1138 said...

Spank, don't spank - I don't care.
Just make your brat behave when it's around me, or I'll publlicly reprimand you right in front of them.

21 August, 2006 21:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And maybe 1138 will learn to spell "public" between now and then. You love a good threat don't you NUT BAG?

23 August, 2006 08:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a tiny one bedroom. I can rent it for 2500-3000, if the coop board allows me to rent

When I seriously began looking at prices in Santa Monica/Venice I freaked.

A two bedroom apartment here averages a mil point something--in my building closer to two

A studio rental is at least $1800. everytime somebody moves the landlord does a landlord renovation to take it out of rent stablization

If I'm going to spend a lot of money, and live among plastic people, I would rather live where I can have some amenities. It's absurd for adults with resources to live like a kid just out of college, and still worry about running out of money. Your supermarkets are less than half the price

I know all the minuses to LA, but...

Can't move until I get my book stuff together. Which is why I'm having guest bloggers for two to three weeks.

Think I have ten, which can suffice for three weeks, but there's always room for you---for a view from the other coast. Not a plea, just a wish :-)

The entire weather report on my radio station this morning was "raining cats and dogs."

We now have one non rainy season, winter. One of the many reasons I realize that global warming is the true and biggest problem

Had the Bush regime opted to help us, my fixed expenses would probably not have almost doubled in four years

Love getting bills announcing huge rate increases because of unforseen new expenses, or forseen but not announced until the last possible moment

Most peoples income, real or not, hasn't kept up with the new expenses. This is becoming a city only the very rich can afford to live in, and the lower middle class--which means making between 50K and 65K (around) can't afford to leave. That shouldn't be poverty level wages. But for a single mom with a teenage daughter, it is

29 August, 2006 07:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have so spoken to my heart regarding the "entitled generation" aka "spoiled brats". WTF is up with all this pandering to every want of the child? When my sister returned to the states from Jakarta the brats of hers were so spoiled it was impossible to be around them and she fostered that behavior despite long talks and declarations of not doing their every bidding. Sadly they manage to break her heart with their act out behavior routinely. The children are not served to constantly indulge them - the rest of the world will not comply!

31 August, 2006 01:30  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is it me, or have I not been to your location before Millicent. I'm going to blog roll you some time today.

Blog on sister. Blog on all

06 September, 2006 09:54  
Blogger Unknown said...

the deed is done. You are on my blog roll, come hell or highwater...which may both be likely with the W, Rove and Co. at the helm.

06 September, 2006 20:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or is that child channeling Katharine Harris?

07 September, 2006 12:03  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

By the way, I used to negotiate with Savannah all the time. Our negotiations usually ran something like this...

"Okay, kid. We can do this with or without a spanking. What's it gonna be?"

She pretty much always chose "without," bringing the entire diplomatic endeavor to a successful conclusion.

~C~

07 September, 2006 16:08  
Blogger 1138 said...

Rhonda, that's called a typo and most cdivilized bloggers overlook them.
That is unless they were raised by a mother described in the story.
As for threats, I've neve made on towords you - it was a wish, not a threat - but you haven't got the stomach for anyone ever disagreeing with you in public.

And look - I didn't start addressing you here, you came at me... who's the obsessed one?

You, the victim of wedge issues.
I don't have time for hate, but you apparently have more than enough.
much.

Name calling, really

27 September, 2006 19:48  
Blogger frstlymil said...

Okay, people, there will be no sniping here, unless I start it. I haven't posted in a bloody long time because I'm busy being a cancer caregiver to someone REALLY important to me. There's a lot of more important stuff going on and life is too damn short to waste it sniping at each other on someone else's blog.

27 September, 2006 21:53  
Blogger 1138 said...

frstlymil,

I understan what you';re saying.
I'm not sure why it only become important when I respond to it being done to me on your blog.

Just saying
From this perspective it lookes like a one sided complaint against sniping.

28 September, 2006 08:36  
Blogger 1138 said...

Just responding Mil., just responding.

29 September, 2006 05:31  
Blogger frstlymil said...

The correct response, 1138, if you felt it necessary to do so, would have been, "sorry, duly noted, will stick to arguing points on my own blog." You are neither a regular reader of my blog, nor someone that I know even a mite. Your exceedingly self involved and whiny, "why precious me?" response to my saying that I've been busy dealing with taking care of someone with CANCER, thus not posting or responding to anything, makes me think you might be a native of L.A. Learn some manners, and learn that it is often more important to keep your mouth shut and simply let things go.

29 September, 2006 07:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mille ~ just checkin' on you. I know you've been very busy - hope you are well.

06 November, 2006 11:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel Information agra,
Tourist Palces in agra, Tourist Places india,Places to see agra,
Transport agra,How to reach agra,
Hotel Information agra, Hotels agra,
Food Junction agra, Restaurants agra,
Shopping in agra ,
History of agra,
People of agra,Culture of agra,
Important Contacts agra,
agra Weather,
How to Reach agra ,
Hospitals in agra,
Travelling tips agra,

07 December, 2006 02:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel Information ajmer,
Tourist Palces in ajmer, Tourist Places india,Places to see ajmer,
Transport ajmer,How to reach ajmer,
Hotel Information ajmer, Hotels ajmer,
Food Junction ajmer, Restaurants ajmer,
Shopping in ajmer ,
History of ajmer,
People of ajmer,Culture of ajmer,
Important Contacts ajmer,
ajmer Weather,
How to Reach ajmer ,
Hospitals in ajmer,
Travelling tips ajmer,

07 December, 2006 02:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel Information jaipur,
Tourist Palces in jaipur, Tourist Places india,Places to see jaipur,
Transport jaipur,How to reach jaipur,
Hotel Information jaipur, Hotels jaipur,
Food Junction jaipur, Restaurants jaipur,
Shopping in jaipur ,
History of jaipur,
People of jaipur,Culture of jaipur,
Important Contacts jaipur,
jaipur Weather,
How to Reach jaipur ,
Hospitals in jaipur,
Travelling tips jaipur,

07 December, 2006 02:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

India Festivals, Festivals In india, Hindu Festivals ,
Holi,Mathura Holi ,
Makar Sankranti,
Rakhi,
Janmashthmi,
Pongal,
Dhanteras,
Choti Diwali,
Lakshmi Puja,
Govardhan Puja,
Bhai Duj,
Bhai Duj,
Navratri,
Dussehra,
Ram Navmi ,
Dussehra,
Ram Navmi,
Naga Panchami,
Onam,
Karwa Chauth,
Ganesh Chaturthi,
Durga Puja,
Buddha Jayanti,
Hemis Gompa Festival,
Losar,
Ullambana,
Mahavir Jayanti.htm,
Mahamasthakabhisheka,
Paryushana,
Merry Christmas,
Easter,
Good Friday,
Bakra Eid,
Eid Ul Fitr,
Muharram,
Guru Nanak Jayanti,
Guru Purab,
Holla Mohalla,
Baisakhi,
Lohri,
Gahambars,
Jamshed - E - Navroz,
Khordada Sal,
Zarthost No Deeso,
Childrens Day,
Gandhi Jayanti,
Independence Day,
Republic Day,
Vijay Diwas,
Fathers Day,
Mothers Day,
New Year,
Valentines Day,
April Fools Day,
Teachers Day,
Bihu,
Chhath,
Gangaur,

07 December, 2006 02:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home