Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Boys and Girls, Bile Can Be Fun

Darlings, I know I owe a Chapter 6 to my ongoing hack noir serial, but....

It’s not every day that a person gets to play with bile. Yes, you read correctly. Bile. A bitter, alkaline, brownish-yellow or greenish-yellow fluid that is secreted by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and discharged into the duodenum and aids in the emulsification, digestion, and absorption of fats. One does not generally get an opportunity to play with bile for any reason. As in, not one's own bile. Someone else’s bile. I think it safe to say that most people might find the act of playing with bile an eensy bit weird.

Not if you are taking Biology for the Non-Biology major.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, tonight I found out why my dear friend Esmé recommended that I take Botany, rather than Biology. I thought it was because she was a vegetarian, when in fact, it was simply so she would not have to play with a bitter, alkaline, brownish-yellow or greenish-yellow fluid that is secreted by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and discharged into the duodenum and aids in the emulsification, digestion, and absorption of fats. Now what really has me curious is the wondering where they got the bile. I don’t think you can get that at Ralph’s. I’ve never seen it there, though I suppose if you asked the butcher really nicely, they might be able to rustle some up. Or not. See I’m not even sure what species the bile came from that we had to play with tonight. I don’t think you can get synthetic bile. If that was the case, then bulimics everywhere would be buying the stuff by the gallon. Okay, sorry, that was a little gross. But I’m talking about bile. It just sort of dictates that you go where table talk dare not venture.

I think I should also mention here that on Monday night we made inedible Cheese.

Who said life after 40 couldn't be a hoot.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home